Friday, May 23, 2014

(Mini) Concert: Black Prairie

The day after Bombay Bicycle Club on April 23rd I was able to attend a very special evening show at the KINK Bing Lounge to see Black Prairie. The day before when I was talking to Lisa (the woman who essentially runs the shows at the Bing Lounge), I asked her about a Portugal. The Man show that went on at the lounge the month before. It wasn't advertised and I didn't know about it until it was happening which was a bummer. I learned that it was a benefit show for the Portland Rescue Mission and Lisa mentioned another show coming up where tickets couldn't be won in the normal way (clicking a button online and crossing your fingers your name gets picked). I asked about it and she told me that the Black Prairie show the next night was through their clip radio app. I was bummed because I wanted to see them, when to my great fortune, a woman near by who had heard out conversation chimed in saying that she had won two places but couldn't attend, and offered me her spots. My lucky day!

So the next night after my classes I went and got in line outside the Bing Lounge. I was first in line, and snagged a seat right front and center. Flying Elephants Deli catered the event and the band played seven songs. The regular drummer, John Moen, couldn't make it that night, so Jenny Conlee's husband sat in and did an excellent job. I must admit, after the performance when I was talking to the band members, I definitely gushed and probably embarrassed myself a bit. It's hard to stop gushing when you're meeting some of your favorite musicians! I couldn't make it to Black Prairie's show at the Aladdin a few nights later, so I was really happy I got to see them (and especially for free)!

Setlist for the evening



Selfie that Chris Funk took of me and the band!



Let It Out


Fortune


Lay Me Down In Tennessee 

No comments:

Post a Comment