Tuesday, November 4, 2014

(Mini) Concert: Broken Bells

When I was in Seattle seeing Portugal. The Man and Grouplove, I got an email from the KINK Bing Lounge saying I won a spot to see Broken Bells!
I got in line super early, so I was the first one there, and snagged a seat in the second row (the first row was filled by people that had cashed in favors from what I had gathered). Lucky for me, I was sitting behind a small child, so I was able to see right over her head.

They played 4 songs: Angel and the Fool, Holding on for Life, High Road, and After the Disco. They were all stripped down and acoustic - not to mention fabulous. When James Mercer whistled the part in Angel and the Fool, I melted into a small puddle of awe. There's really nothing that man can do wrong. Hell, he could put out a death metal album and I'm sure it would be excellent. And Danger Mouse is such an amazing producer... He's like King Midus - everything he touches turns to musical gold. There was also a short interview as per usual with the Bing Lounge shows.

After the (too short) set, there was no meet and greet like there normally is at Bing Lounge shows. I'm sure this was due to the enormous crowd that had come to see them, but it was still a bummer. However, not letting that stop me, I waited outside the back door where I knew they would be coming out. It was only me and a few other people who were waiting so it was okay, it wouldn't have been quite as alright if there were tons of people though. I met James Mercer, Danger Mouse, and the other two touring members of the band. I have to admit, I sort of ended up gushing to Danger Mouse about how much I love the albums he's produced, but he seemed appreciative and not like I was a crazy fan girl. Same with James.

All in all, it was probably the best KINK Bing Lounge show I've ever been to, and hearing the songs I've been listening to for months in a totally different manner was incredible.

Here are the videos for After the DiscoHolding on for LifeHigh RoadAngel and the Fool, and the interview from the show.








No comments:

Post a Comment