Monday, January 20, 2014

Concert: Arctic Monkeys

I haven't seen the Arctic Monkeys since 2007 when their second album Favorite Worst Nightmare came out. Their two albums after Favorite Worst Nightmare (Humbug, and Suck It And See) were good, but not my favorite. Arctic Monkeys played a show at the Crystal Ballroom the same night I had tickets to see Adele at the Edgefield after Humbug came out. I had to decide who I wanted to see, so I picked Adele figuring the next time she came through town she'd play somewhere way bigger. The next time Arctic Monkeys played was when they opened for the Black Keys at the Rose Garden not long after Suck It And See came out. I'm not a huge fan of the Black Keys, and I'm even less of a fan of the Rose Garden (which is the stadium where the Portland Trailblazers play). I had only ever been to one concert there (N*sync when I was seven), and the place is massive. After having gone to so many intimate shows, and seeing Arctic Monkeys in an intimate environment, there way so way I was seeing them someplace so big.

Then they finally came back to Portland at the Roseland Theater on December 6th. Their latest album, AM, dropped a few months before they came to town, and the album is amazing. Easily their best yet.
I got to the Roseland Theater to wait in line at around 3pm, and to my dismay I saw there was already a line of around 40 people already formed. I later learned that the people at the front got there at 11 am and drove from Seattle. I got in line and was trying to figure out a plan of action for once I got inside. At the previous Arctic Monkeys show 6 years previously I remember it being rather mosh-y and packed like sardines. Apart from not being able to see if I'm not at the front, breathing and getting trampled would also be a big issue.
I wandered up the length of the line to see if there was maybe someone I knew from another show. Low and behold, a concert bud of mine, Sarah, was about 6th in line from the front. I asked if it would be possible for me to join her and her friend since it was just me and I'm so small one person wouldn't really make much of a difference. She said sure, and we talked about music and whatnot while we were waiting. She was there when the whole Two Door Cinema Club incident went down.

It was absolutely freezing waiting outside. The temp was in the low 30s and kept dropping as the sun set.
By the time we finally got to go in at 7 I couldn't feel my toes. The first band were a local act called BattleMe. This was actually my third time seeing them. They opened for Walk The Moon when they played for $0.97 at the Crystal Ballroom as part of 94.7's "I Saw Them When Show" series. The next time was when they opened for Metric at the Roseland. Both times I was not impressed. They seemed kind of self-involved and had long, drawn out jams on stage. I was bummed I didn't like them since they're local, and I was hoping for the whole "third time's a charm" thing, but to no avail. They were as mediocre as I remembered.

Then finally, after all that waiting, Arctic Monkeys came out. They were better than I remembered. They've aged like a fine wine, and have really grown into their roles as rock stars. I was actually surprised that they were playing the Roseland and not the Memorial Coliseum or the Rose Garden.
Alex Turner was as charming as ever, and really pulled off the greaser look - complete with a comb that he pulled at twice to fix his pompadour. The energy of the band, even after touring for so long, was incredible. The crowd were all into it too, and it got very sardine-y just as the show was starting. It got hard to move and breathe throughout the night, but it was worth it. I was right in the front and center directly in front of Alex. There was one moment during the set that he made eye contact with me for about five seconds or so. Everyone surrounding me had their phones out to take pictures and videos, and I was the lone person who didn't. Alex must have noticed and saw that I was truly
enjoying the show instead of recording sloppy video to prove that "I was there".

After the show I got a shirt that's baseball style and says "Why'd you only call me when you're high?" and an Arctic Monkeys hat (sort of beanie style with a pom pom on the top). I managed to get the setlist which is great. I didn't stick around to meet the band afterwards as I had my dad waiting on me, but my friend Sarah did, and she told me that they came out about forty-five minutes after the show. She said they waved at everyone, but didn't come over and say hi. Just went straight onto the bus. She said she didn't blame them because some of the girls were freaking out and acting crazy.

I'll post some videos later when my dad uploads them to youtube. He had a great vantage point in the balcony and got some great footage.


It was truly a stellar show, and I'm so happy I got to see them again, even after 6 years.








No comments:

Post a Comment