Saturday, June 28, 2014

Concert: Childish Gambino

Finding the Cuthbert Amphitheater was quite an adventure. It's conveniently hidden somewhere between a children's museum and where the Oregon Ducks play. I got to the venue around 3pm, and there was only a short line which surprised me considering how popular Childish Gambino is. The line steadily got longer up until the gates opened, and I was the first one through.

I ended up being front and center, which I realized after the show was probably not my best choice. The circulation of the crowd - especially at a rap show - is similar to a Hadley Cell (sorry, my inner geography nerd is coming out, it'll make sense I promise):






At the equator the air rises and then once it hits a certain height it moves away from the equator and descends at around 30 degrees north or south.




So in terms of a concert: the crowd pushes towards front and center from the back, but when they hit the front row or barricade the constant push from the back moving forward tends to push people in the middle to the sides (the people at the direct front and center can grab onto the barricade and generally don't get moved).


(I'm not the best at the Microsoft Paint, but it worked okay I think) 


So basically to sum it up: being at the front and center is where you get the most squished.

Danny Brown was the opener, and DJ Stefan Ponce was keeping the music going the whole time with other various rappers performing before Danny Brown. I'm not super into rap music, but I though Danny Brown was pretty good, he's been getting a lot of hype lately too. The only other rapper I've seen was Ludacris who happened to be the opening act for 'N Sync about thirteen years ago.

Between Danny Brown and Childish Gambino, the 'Deep Web app' was in out in full force. It was an interactive app that allowed concert goers to scribble and write messages that appeared on a big screen onstage. There were lots of penises...

Then finally, Donald came out wearing shorts and a sweater. He didn't talk much between songs, and he seemed really cynical. It's weird since I know him from his comedy where he's so animated and vivid, but maybe that's just a he just has two selves - rapper and comedian. It might have had something to do with Community being canceled that same day, but he left the show the year before so who knows.

The set was super cool. It was made to look like the inside of a house and there were two platforms - one that looked like a study, with a big armchair, globe, and wooden desk, and the other side looked like a living room with a big couch - each with about 5 or 6 people lounging in them (all girls). My guess is that they got some sort of special VIP ticket that got them there. Side note: isn't it funny how 'VIP' (Very Important Person) these days really just means 'SMM' (Spent More Money). Anyway, about half way through the show between songs, Donald looked over at the people on the furniture and yelled "GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY HOUSE" at which they all awkwardly walked off stage.

I've gotta say, this show took the cake for the most squished I've ever been. I couldn't even get my phone out to take pictures... Absolutely insane, but fun!


Setlist!

No comments:

Post a Comment