Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Portugal. The Man

Portugal. The Man just announced a summer tour in the US for this year, and I'm SO EXCITED. They're playing the Crystal Ballroom on July 18th, and considering the two songs they've released from their upcoming album, it's going to be amazing.

Their latest song, Purple Yellow Red And Blue:


I started getting into Portugal. The Man kind of late in the game considering how long they've been around. They're such a quirky, trippy band that have some damn catchy songs.

The first time I saw them was at the Roseland theatre in Old Town Portland. The sketchy part of town... Anyway, I was psyched because the opening band, Telekenisis!, was a group I had been into for a while but never got the chance to see (by the way, the only band I've ever seen where the drummer was also the lead singer). I was waiting first in line with a friend, when a random hipster came up to us on his bike. I was a little hesitant considering we were in Old Town, but he was nice enough. His name was Francis, and he asked if we would hold him a spot while he went to a bar to meet up with a friend, and in exchange he'd buy both of our tickets. Of course we said yes (I would have done it even if he hadn't offered to pay, but hey..), and when he came back a bit before the doors opened we talked about lots of things, and somehow it came up that he used to be in a band called Halloweentown that was on tour with The Killers at one point. Then he explained how he was now a Realtor and that the bassist, Mark Stoermer, was buying a house in Portland and was actually going to be at the show a bit later. I can't entirely remember how it happened, but I think he was saying I should prank call him, and gave me his number. I've never tried texting or calling him 'cause that'd just be weird.

The second time I saw them was at the Crystal Ballroom, and it was extremely good. Unfortunately after the show, the friend I met up with got into a car crash. It was pretty lucky though, because as I was driving home (with my parents who were also at the show), we drove past her and we were able to help. She rear ended an SUV, and totaled her car. Luckily no one was hurt.

And finally, a very old picture of me and John Gourley from when I saw the band play at a record store in Portland called Music Millennium

No comments:

Post a Comment